As you can see, we already have:
- Character movement, camera adjustment, & tile collision
- Level tiles wherein if you’re colliding with them you can press A to enter the level & hold B to see the challenge scores.
- Not only are you taken back to the map after leaving a level, you are taken back to the level tile.
- Palette changes by entering certain areas.
- Tile changes that happen ’pon beating levels, opening up access to other levels.
It may seem as if it’d be smart to reuse most o’ the code I already had, but what I already have for the levels is a mess, & I didn’t want to make it any messier, so most o’ the code is redone for the o’erworld, but with all the unnecessary stuff cut out. This has the advantage o’ making the code mo’ efficient, which is useful, ’cause the whole maps’ tiles ( 25,600 ) are all loaded @ once.
What I want to do in the future
- Finish the map ’nough so that you can access all the levels, duh.
- Show a visual o’ the map changing after beating a level, ’stead o’ justing having it already have happened ’pon returning to the map.
- Add a shop somewhere where you can buy health & oxygen upgrades.
- Add a bonus level, which can also be bought.
- Possibly add the aforementioned warp zones.
- O yeah: add a menu screen that allows one to quit the game. Also, possibly add an option to switch to a list o’ levels, but only list the levels opened so far.